Many people are turning to motorcycles as their main mode of transportation. Motorcycles can provide an affordable and convenient form of transportation. They cost less to operate, use less gas and are easier to park for many people. They are also fun to ride. When people think of a motorcycle they often picture the big bike they see cruising down the highway, but motorcycles come in many sizes and shapes. Motorcycles can be big highway cruisers, racing type bikes, and scooters. The type of bike that a person chooses depends on what they want and how they plan to use it.
The one thing that all motorcycles have in common is the need for motorcycle insurance. This type of insurance is required for just about every types of motorcycle. While the states do have minimum requirements for motorcycle insurance, many people choose to get extra coverage just like they do with auto insurance.
The search for insurance for your motorcycle starts with trying to get an auto insurance quote. In order to get the best rates, a person will need to have some basic information.
- The type of motorcycle they are trying to insure – The most important thing to consider is the size of the engine. Insurance rates will vary based on this. A scooter will have engines as small as 50cc while a big highway motorcycle will have an engine that is as big as 1000cc. The bigger the engine the more powerful the motorcycle and the more expensive it is to insure.
- The state the motorcycle is registered in – Rates vary from one state to another. There are also rules about what motorcycles have to be insured. Small scooters and mopeds may not require insurance or registration to drive.
- How much the motorcycle is drive – One way to get cheap auto insurance on your motorcycle is to limit the amount that it is driven.
Once you have the basic information about your motorcycle, you will be ready to choose an insurance policy. Motorcycle insurance is similar to auto insurance. You can get bare minimum insurance to comply with the law or you can get additional insurance to cover other circumstances. The different types of insurance to consider include:
- Liability – Usually required
- Collision – In the case of an accident
- Comprehensive – Covers a broad range of protection
- Medical – If you are hurt on a motorcycle, this helps
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorists – because you can’t control what the other drivers have
- Personal Injury protection – similar to the medical coverage
- Motorcycle roadside assistance – because motorcycles can break down
- Accessory coverage – this will cover any accessories that have been added to a motorcycle
Motorcycle insurance is an important thing to have, but the cost of it is scary to many people. The key is the same as finding cheap car insurance. It is best to shop around for the best price. This is easy to do through an insurance agent or by searching online for insurance quotes. Make sure that when you compare prices, they are for similar coverages. This can make a big difference in the quotes that you receive and you will want to get the coverage that you expect when you pay for it.
Or speak directly with an agent at Insurance Medics, call now at 1 (866) 396-9140. Our customer enrollment center is open Monday through Friday from 9:00AM to 6:00PM EST and Saturday from 10:00AM to 2:00PM. We look forward to answering all your questions and having you as a customer.